The Presidency has described the alleged plot to remove Festus Keyamo from his role as the spokesman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council as fake news.
Some online media outlets on Monday published reports, claiming that President Muhammadu Buhari and an ‘Aso Rock cabal’ had been displeased by some of Keyamo’s statements in media interviews, which had allegedly been unfavourable to the image of the administration.
According to the report claimed to have been sourced from a ‘presidential source’, Buhari’s grouse with Keyamo was because he was making comments that de-market the administration while speaking in interviews as the party’s campaign council’s spokesman.
However, in reaction to the alleged plot, the Presidency said the news is fake, maintaining that Buhari and the party’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, are satisfied with Keyamo’s work as campaign council’s spokesman.
Read Also: Alleged Buhari’s call for my removal fake, says Keyamo
In a brief reaction made available to The Nation’s media query, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, alleged that there are conspiracies by some unnamed elements to defame the leaders of the party and create a clog in the wheel of the presidential campaign.
“The news that President Muhammadu Buhari has called for the removal of Festus Keyamo, SAN as a spokesperson of the APC Presidential Campaign Council is fake news.
“Both President Buhari and the Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu are happy with the job Keyamo doing, and with the general set up of the impending campaign, which has already become an example for other parties.
“We are aware that conspiracy theories are being hatched with a ripple effect to defame our party leaders and hold back the campaign. Supporters of our candidates should not pay attention to ‘news’ from these fountains of false narratives,” Shehu responded.