Nigerian Newspapers: 10 Things You Need To know This Monday Morning
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. It was a black Sunday in Lagos State when a commercial bus caught fire, killing seven passengers, while others were injured.
The incident happened at the popular Iyana Oworo near the Third Mainland Bridge.
2. Ahead of the 2023 elections, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said Nigeria needs a government that has a proper understanding of governance. Obasanjo said this at a colloquium organised to mark the 113th anniversary of Kings College, Lagos.
3. A former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, has again spoken against the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the All Progressives Congress, stating that Christian politicians in Northern Nigeria would remain steadfast in their stand for justice, equity and fair play.
4. Two suspected fraudsters, Rotimi Fisher and Sherif Adebayo have allegedly defrauded a 23-year-old girl in the Ipaja area of Lagos State. The suspects reportedly lured the victim to an uncompleted building on Majiyagbe Street, Ipaja, where Adebayo allegedly raped her.
5. The campaign team of the Tinubu-Shettima Presidential Campaign Council has directed all the newly appointed 422 members to turn up at the PCC headquarters in Abuja for ‘special prayers’ to officially kick-off Wednesday’s electioneering campaign.
6. The Northern Elders’ Forum, on Sunday, said it will subject candidates of various political parties seeking the votes of the north to a rigorous interrogation exercise until they are convinced about who has the capacity to fix the country. This clarification was made by NEF Spokesman, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, when he appeared on Channels Television.
7. A teenager, Daniel Akindele, has allegedly stabbed his friend, Ayo Bameke, to death during a fight over food at Abattoir Complex in the Agege area of Lagos State. It was gathered that Akindele and Bameke, alongside other friends, visited the complex to play football when the incident occurred following a degenerated argument about food.
8. The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, and his team have perfected plans to break the ranks of Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State. Also, strong indications emerged that Governor Wike and those sympathetic to his cause may be settling for former Ondo State governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, as a replacement for the PDP National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, if their plans scale through.
9. The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, has confirmed four persons dead and 10 others injured in a lone accident in Zanchita village on Bida-Kutugi Road, Bida Local Government Area of Niger. The FRSC said the lone accident occurred, yesterday, at about 9:25 a.m., where four of the passengers died at the scene.
10. With a few days until the official flag-off of the political campaign, spokesperson of the Tinubu-Shettima Presidential Campaign Council, Festus Keyamo, has unveiled the first edition of his much-publicised podcast. Keyamo shared a clip of his first podcast on social media and Whatsapp platform on Saturday evening.